14 July 2014

...taking on the walk around Uluru, N.T. #1

It was just after 8 a.m. when our tour group was heading out to take on the big walk around the rock; Uluru that is, also known as, Ayers Rock.

Our base walk was approximately 8 km.   Location: Kata Tjuta N.P.

but first there is signage for the shorter 2 km walk ahead.  It reads in part: the physical features of Uluru are of great cultural significance to us Anangu traditional owners.  The caves and rock formations along this walk relate to the activities of the ancestral Mala (rufous hare-wallaby) people during the Tjukurpa (creation time).



it takes us down this track












I'm so looking forward to sharing more of the amazing views I saw while doing this walk, in follow-on posts.  Do come along with me won't you?  This is just the start of kicking up a little red dirt on our walkers.  Be sure you've got your water bottle packed...

6 comments:

diane b said...

It will be nice to do the 8 k walk with you because I only did the shorter walk due to TOH who can't walk long distances.

Irma said...

What a nice walk in a beautiful nature, Carole.
Beautiful color of the mountains.

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Looking forward to more of the walk. The roped off manicured trail reminded me of many places I have returned to here in the States (Death Valley, Yosemite, Yellowstone, etc.) where it was just a natural trail decades ago. Now when I return they are all "developed", roped off, boardwalks in place, signs here and there which is sad for me to see, but inevitable what with how disrespectful people are today.

Dianne said...

Yes Carole I will certainly come along for the walk. 8.5 km I can manage that .... looking forward to seeing more of this beautiful part of the world through you eyes.

Laura said...

Carole, it is so nice to see your photos of Uluru! It was too hot to take the walk around it when we were there in the spring. Thanks for the photo journal! hugs, Laura

Kay said...

I have my walking shoes on and my water packed to come along with you Carole!! Fantastic photo's, love the rock formation and its color.