06 August 2014

Flowers and butterflies, in a winter garden

...it's was during one of those free (no cost), and simply leisurely moments, sitting with a mug of hot coffee in hand; you know when you just kind of soak up the good weather .. and think how good it is. Some outdoor chores had been achieved already, and it was time to wind back with caffeine.   It smelt good, and it tasted good.  That's sounding a little counter-productive I know, when caffeine is said to actually, wind you up, instead.

And, while I was drifting somewhat ... with random thoughts, well ahead along the garden path, this butterfly landed. Well there was my photo opportunity, since camera was right there too. Pretty much, it is one of just four butterflies that I might ever see around here.


I think it's known as the Meadow Argus, and it had landed on Blue Salvia

So since I'm up out of that comfy chair now, I'm encouraged to go photograph some snippets of colour from my winter garden.


Nasturtiums, olde-worlde, and I enjoy their vibrancy and reliability.  Good self-seeders, and easy to weed out when 'finished'.  Another plus is that the bees love them too.  




Linarias, reminding me of mini snap-dragons




Johnny-Jump-Ups, or Heartsease, sometimes also referred to as Violas.  How many names can one flower have?


I love the intricacy of those fine veins, an artistic touch in the genetics of one teeny, weeny seed.


Even the humble nasturtium displays this trait.  When you just take the time to 'discover' you can find so much to enjoy


Indoors now, light on subject, and some camera play.

Sharing with Nature Notes

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful flowers in your garden Carole. I love the vibrancy nasturtiums bring. It has also been a lovely sunny day here today, around 25 degrees, so nice for winter time.

Jeanne said...

I can just see you there Carole with your cuppa. Was just thinking of you, when up you popped. Beautiful flowers and butterfly. How nice of an array for winter. Do have a wonderful day, night.

DeniseinVA said...

Flowers and butterflies, always a winning combination. Great photos Carole! Thank you, I really enjoyed them.

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

I was wondering if they were known as Johnny Jump-ups down under. Ever since my grandmother told me their name when I was a wee little fellow, they were then my favorite. Gee, I wonder why?

Irma said...

Beautiful flowers in your garden, Carole.
All kinds of different flowers and even butterflies.
I did not know that in the winter butterflies are in Australia.
Here they are only in summer in nature, or in a special butterfly garden.

Rambling Woods said...

What a beautiful post Carole..I wish our winters here in NY were so pretty, but I guess snow can be if it isn't too cold.. Love the photo editing in the last photo... Thank you for linking in... Michelle from Nature Notes

Vagabonde said...

Your photos are so clear and fine – you are talented. I like the richness of your colors. My camera does not take good close-ups so I love to look at blogs with beautiful photos.

Laura said...

Love the flower and butterfly photos, Carole! Beautiful! Thanks for the descriptions and plant names! I do miss the your "Australia Red Earth" main blog picture though!!! :-/

Carver said...

Wonderful shots of the flowers and butterflies.

Lisa Gordon said...

Carole, these photographs are absolutely gorgeous!
I especially love the first one here.
Simply perfect.

The Furry Gnome said...

That's your 'winter' garden?? Ours is plain white, under two feet of snow!

Marilyn said...

Carole, I love your photographic journeys both here and on Snap Happy Birding. Always a pleasure to see what you have posted.

Kay said...

And that is your winter garden Carole? Waw so colorful.Not in my garden during wintertime. Did you know that Nasturtiums are edible and can be used in salads? We call them here "Oost indische Kers" (East indian cherry) I don't know why because they are nog originating from there but South America. And the cabbage white butterfly...I will tell you more in my pm ;-)

Carole M. said...

loved every comment; thanks everyone. Kay - yes it is still winter here. Being coastal it is very unlikely to get a frost and you can still manage a dash of colour with annuals. Yes I know they use petals for decoration in salads, and the very new tiny leaves also can be eaten, a mustard, peppery taste.