01 March 2014

arriving at your destination

You've set the date in your diary, worked out time to leave home, made sure camera is charged up etc. There's something rather special next, about finally making it, to your destination isn't there?   At least it seems so for me, a reason to celebrate with a caffeine-fix!

On this day, it was after a 50 minute rail journey, one stop short of Newcastle.  Newcastle being Australia's second-oldest city, also seventh largest city, 160 kms north of Sydney, says the Visit Newcastle site here.

A short walk from the station, and just opposite Newcastle Harbour foreshore, this open-plan cafe' was the chosen check-in, before taking on the big stroll/walk, looking for photo opportunities to share here.



Kind of fascinating to observe how to clean the high windows with the extended water-hose


32.0m x 12m, 5000 BHP Tug, PB Diamantina, has a fuel capacity of 205,100 litres and a maximum speed of 12 knots, info' taken from PB Towage

Marina Traffic site here shows all relevant details along-with  "live"  report of last position received on this vessel.  

Newcastle Port is one of Australia's largest bulk-export ports; also the world's largest coal export port.


But it's sometimes a port for other sea-faring vessels too; unusual ones, like these.

From where I stood and before checking in my view-finder, I thought this couple were on a 'tandem-paddle-board' which would've been kind of unique, and I reckon they're pretty daring to take on the harbour!


...just in case something like this comes pacing by.

7 comments:

Jeanne said...

Looks like a very fun adventure and your shots are great. Can't believe that lady paddling along on that board. That would not be a good idea for me to do....

Irma said...

Beautiful pictures Carole.
The couple on the surfboard I find really quite amazing.

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

The series tells a good story. That couple on the paddle boards, although it made me smile, I admire them for getting out there and doing it.

Jan Castle said...

Our daughter does paddle boarding, but NOT in a busy marina....thank goodness!
Great pics Carole....TFS
Jan

Montanagirl said...

Nice photos! But I have to agree with Jeanne: I think I should not be on one of those boards either.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

love that tug and the other sea-faring vessels you saw in the harbor. ;0)

Bob Bushell said...

Really nice pics Carole.